View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #1001
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
My final rant (and I'll get off this soapbox, I promise) is on the rumor that Stark will create Ultron. While this seems to be the most likely scenario, it is incredibly lazy on the part of the film-makers and shows what could soon be a huge problem in the movie universe. Tony Stark, or really Robert Downey Junior, has become way too important to the MCU. Let me preface by saying that I love Iron Man as a character (been reading the solo comics for nine years now) and Downey's portrayl of the character throughout Phase 1. However, Iron Man 3 seemed to be a showcase not for Iron Man, or even Tony Stark, but for Downey Junior. The franchise has made a killing and Marvel is equating its success solely with the actor and his portrayl and not on the character and his place within the universe. I never thought I'd say this, but I am getting so sick of Iron Man and his increasing role as the center of the cinematic universe. Having him be responsible for Ultron is only making the situation worse - this is supposed to be Avengers II not Iron Man 4 (or Iron Man and friends). Fox went overboard with the popularity of a single character and did this with Wolverine. I'm really hoping Marvel does not do the same with Stark.

Iron Man is one of my favorite comic characters (top five easily) but you can have too much of a good thing. Replacing Pym with Stark (which I'm 99% sure they'll do) is throwing off the power balance and some fans are beginning to feel burnt-out.
I actually really feel where you're coming from. I had the same problem in Avengers.

That said, RDJ *is* on the way out, and Dr. Strange will be taking his place as the obnoxious egomaniac centerpiece. Even though Iron Man will still be around, the truth is, RDJ is very much the cause of his success up to this point. The only way to stop that would be to have forced RDJ to do a worse job, which isn't in Iron Man's best interest, is it?

One thing I do appreciate about Avengers is that all the team members got to be cool, and do something big. X-Men under Singer's Wolverine were definitely NOT afforded that opportunity. I think we'll see even more of that as the other heroes become as established as Stark was going into Avengers 1.