View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #768
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
Well you just did! LITTLE KNOWN FACT: When TOM MANKEWITZ wrote the first draft for the 89 movie, he used the Englehardt/Rogers run (Strange Apparitions) as his basis for tone. The villains were going to be Joker, Penguin and Catwoman. When MANK left the project, ENGLEHARDT himself wrote a draft from what Mank had done, deleting Catwoman and having a Joker Penguin teamup! Ultimately Sam Hamm's script used elements from the Denny O'neil stories as well as the Joker origin from KILLING JOKE, using Alan Napier's name (Alfred from Batman show) for Jack the gangster and when Warren Scarem came in and did rewrites, he brought in a lot more of the Frank Miller darkness!
Yeah, but a lot of that 70s stuff got lost by the time Sam Hamm got around to doing his final draft.

I see what you're saying, but I guess for me when I think 70s Batman I think of the more Bond-like Bruce Wayne, exotic villains like Ra's al Ghul, international in scope plots, Bruce living in a penthouse in Gotham, etc. The influence seems more overt on the Nolan films.

To me Batman '89 felt like the Batman of the 40s fused with the modern grittiness of the Batman of the 80s. Not that some 70s stuff didn't creep in there, it just didn't pop out to me as much. I'm not criticizing the movie, that's just how I see it.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158