View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #769
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, but a lot of that 70s stuff got lost by the time Sam Hamm got around to doing his final draft.

I see what you're saying, but I guess for me when I think 70s Batman I think of the more Bond-like Bruce Wayne, exotic villains like Ra's al Ghul, international in scope plots, Bruce living in a penthouse in Gotham, etc. The influence seems more overt on the Nolan films.

To me Batman '89 felt like the Batman of the 40s fused with the modern grittiness of the Batman of the 80s. Not that some 70s stuff didn't creep in there, it just didn't pop out to me as much. I'm not criticizing the movie, that's just how I see it.
Yeah I get ya. I guess when i say 70's, I mean the tone of the early 70's. It was, after all, the 70's when Batman became dark after the 1969 return of "The Dark Knight" with Secret of the Waiting Graves. The globetrotting hairy chested love god (as Morrison calls him) didn't appear until about 1975.

The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.