View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #60
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Just got back from seeing it for the second time. I didn't realize just how much I missed the first time, thanks to my post-holycrapIjustmetHughJackman!!! state of mind the other night.

Wow, that was a great movie! It was kind of like watching it for a first time.

My sister and my brother-in-law loved it, although my sister was practically hiding under her chair during Logan's do-it-yourself heart surgery scene.

The first time I saw it, my reaction was that it was darker and nastier than the previous X-Men films, and it is...but this time I also noticed what a beautiful film it is as well. It deals with a whole side of Logan that we've never seen before, and getting to see him as badass and vulnerable in this movie was incredible. It's easily Hugh's best performance as Wolverine.

I was also able to notice more this time all of the backstabbing and plots going on with the villians, as well as Shingen's hatred of mutants (which I didn't catch at all the first time). I also picked up how Mariko was watching Logan fight at the funeral, and it was like she was realizing now that this was the man her grandfather had told her about, and how it changed her attitude towards him after that.

As for the much-debated third act...I'm still good with it. The whole story of the movie is really leading up to it, so I'm not entirely sure why anyone was surprised that there was some big sinister plot going to be revealed by the end. It's why they were after Wolverine in the first place.

But wow...James Mangold brought our guy back in fighting style, and I can't thank him enough for it.

I can't wait to see it again.