View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #79
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Really, the twist of the movie is the biggest issue I had with the thing. Not from a character standpoint, but just in point of logic.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It literally made no sense. Shingin didn't apprear to have any power to strip his father of control, so I have no idea why Yashida faked his death, and named Mariko to inherit the company. All that did was put Mariko in danger, and actually put Wolverine beyond his reach and delay what precious time he had left. Why they didn't abduct Logan right after he was dosed I have no idea.

And since Yashida "dying" quite literally kicks off the main plot line of the film, the fact that it doesn't make a lick of sense is a bit of a problem storytelling wise.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yashida faked his death because Wolverine didn't hand over his mutation willingly. Viper poisoned him, then they faked Yashida's death so that they could capture Logan at the funeral, assuming he would be weakened without his healing factor. But he escaped. They took Mariko as a means to lure Logan to the temple to finally take away his healing power. They had no time - Yashida would have died if they had waited any longer.

Yashida had been obsessed with mutants ever since he was saved by Logan in WWII, and he'd bankrupted the company with his experiments. Shingen hated mutants because of what his father's obsession had done to their company, and he was trying to keep it from being passed to Mariko because he wanted to take it over and restore their honor, as he had been lying to stockholders over the state of company.