View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #77
Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 4 -

Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
I just hope they stay as far away as possible from anything that even remotely brings to mind the Terminator movies or HAL or Battlestar or I,RObot or about a hundred episodes of various tv shows. A.I. run amok is second only to time travel in the pantheon of overused scifi plot devices. They need to make Ultron a real character who just happens to be artificial. I trust Whedon knows this.
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

That's the one thing I always worried about an Ultron-centric Avenger movie from way back; and now that Joss has apparently kicked Hank Pym to the curb, I worry even more. Fanboys like me are already up in arms because we know that Joss is crapping on a major part of Avenger canon; but mainstream audiences could easily start hating on this concept, too, if it turns into just another been-there done-that killer robot movie.

By taking away the psychosexual deviance of the Pym-Ultron-Janet relationship, Joss has taken away the heart and the horror of the Frankenstein story variant. That's what drives Ultron stories, *not* "zomg killer robot!!1!1!!"
Whedon already toyed with implicit themes of artificial intelligence in Buffy the Vampire Slayer with, for example, the one-time character April (who, hilariously enough, was in love with her creator).

Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
From SHH
Great if you ask me. Black Widow was one of the best developed characters in the first Avengers and I was afraid she would lose her charm in the sequel (with so many characters et all).

Great to know she'll be intersting once again.