View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #54
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Default Re: Its that time again to rank the X-Men movies!

Get excited for both. Marvel Studios is doing something similar to what Fox is doing just on a bigger/flashier scale. Winter Soldier and The Dark Word are very adult oriented, much more than their first installments.

I'll leave it at this: It's only been 13 years since the modern age of superhero movies, when exploded in the early 2000s. Almost overnight studios were in a rush to one-up each other. SM3, FF, etc were all products of the demand of that time. Then Iron Man, Batman Begins and TDK rolled around and took a more mature look at the genre, but studios were still in the mindset of the early 2000s and didn't think that tone would encompass the entire genre. Now, as this decade rolls along, studios are understanding that audiences are overwhelmed with the bombardment of by-the-numbers superhero movies and aren't just going to be happy with seeing these characters on screen. WB, Sony, Fox, Marvel Studios.. they are all evolving their franchises but it takes time. It's been less than 15 years since X-Men came out.

That's probably why I don't go into any of these movies expecting perfection. The studios are still learning, and getting over the "but it's just a comic book" mentality. That being said I give tons of respect to both Fox and Marvel for actually looking at where they've gone wrong before and maturing their franchises along with their fanbases.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote