View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #45
mace1
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

This is a interesting point about movies these days but this focus is on man of steel but this could be for any movie.

People are too cynical these days (Spoilers)
by
GhostGlow
Quote:
Some of you people have a really twisted perception of what an "awful" movie is, or whatever word you want to insert to describe negativity. Was Man of Steel the perfect Superman film? No. Could it have been better? Definitely. But for what it was... there were still some great moments in there. Unlike movies such as Green Lantern, it wasn't all just mindless CGI action, Man of Steel actually managed to be believable and captured the essence of who Superman is. The scenes with him fighting the other Kryptonians was amazing, never before have we seen fights of such an epic scale in a Superman movie before, it was like bringing a comicbook to life, the duel between Superman and Zod was especially awesome, are you saying that didn't impress you cynics one bit? The acting was also pretty decent, the bond between Clark and his parents was believable and moving, did you feel nothing from that at all? Should this movie win an Oscar for best screenplay or best director? No, but honestly how can you say it was really a bad film? There is definitely room for improvement, but for me Man of Steel managed to be a worthwhile cinema experience.
by
TheDarkPhoenix85
Quote:
^^ Thank you!
by
Fluffis

Quote:
That's a new one... "People aren't allowed to dislike a movie I like."
by GhostGlow
Quote:
I never said you aren't allowed to, I just think anyone who went to see this and came out thinking it was horrible must have some really high standards, or is not a big enough comic fan to appreciate it. Man of Steel is not above criticism, but there are far worse superhero movies than this.
by
Fluffis

Quote:

Okay, so you didn't say that people aren't allowed - you just said that there is something wrong with them. there That's much better.
by GhostGlow
Quote:
If that's how you want to look at it then be my guest. I stand by my statement though, a lot of people in this world really need to lighten up. It's like no matter how good something is they will just focus on it's flaws, and unless something is exactly the way they think it should be it "sucks". Why does it have to be black or white?

by
beansnnnncornbread
Quote:
I'd like to say that I've seen people bash on this movie, say that if you like it they you are mentally handicapped and expect not to be called trolls. I would say there is something a little wrong with some of them.

by
LemonVampire

Quote:
I love how not enjoying a grim, desaturated, ultra-violent, "gritty" version of Superman makes me "too cynical." version I'm "too cynical" for thinking that Superman should be about solving problems without resorting to killing, that the ideal he should represent and that the world should embrace, is one of self-sacrifice and compassion for all life.

by
delorb

Quote:
So its all about the fights. Jeez. What a rousing endorsement of the movie. They should have used that in their promos. That or this gem,rousing

The acting was also pretty decent,

, You can't even work up the energy to defend this movie properly.
by GhostGlow
Quote:
I didn't say it was perfect, my point is there are people saying "This movie was terrible" like as if it was so bad it actually caused them mental anguish. What I'm saying is... let's lighten up a little, there are far worse movies out there and even though it had it's flaws surely it's not THAT bad. I'll agree that it was a bit too dark for a Superman movie, but you knew what you were getting into when you watched it did you not? As far as resorting to killing: People are making too big of a deal about it, they've missed the point of that scene. He had no other choice, Zod would not have stopped and it showed that Clark felt remorse for having to resort to that, which is part of his character.

by GhostGlow
Quote:
You're twisting my words, they've become even more twisted than your standards of film. What a twist! No but seriously, it's not all about the fights, that's just one of the films strengths, have you seen Superman Returns? He did not punch 1 single person the whole movie, not even the guy who shot him in the eye, not even Superman is that much of a pacifist. So excuse me for being glad to finally see the kind of action that a Superman film deserves. I'll admit that the film fell short in other areas (Not enough scenes in Smallville, no mention of characters like Lana Lang or Jimmy Olsen, Lois wasn't a brunette, too many lense flares and CGI, unnecessarily dark) but the script was a lot more true to the source material than some comic book films and I don't know about the rest of you but when I go to see an action film (Which is what this movie is) I expect plenty of action.

I'll just make my point one last time because this is a concept many people seem hard to grasp: Man of Steel was not a perfect adaption of the Superman story, but there has been far worse and this movie had enough decent scenes in it for it to qualify as a good movie, I'm not saying it's a masterpiece or that it's the best superhero film in history, but I cannot fathom why people hated it so much. Have a "pretty decent" day!
by GhostGlow
Quote:

That is exactly my point, thank you! It's like they think there are only 2 types of movies; A work of art, or utter garbage. Man of Steel doesn't fit into either category, there are things I really liked about it and things I didn't, but overall I think it managed to be an entertaining movie. I just don't like the way people are acting as though there was absolutely nothing good about this film whatsoever. I guess people just had such high hopes for this that compared to what they thought it would be it was bad. That's basically how I felt about Michael Bay's Transformers movies, but as bad as they are there is still some fun to be had, that is all I'm trying to say about Man of Steel.

by
LaWanda74

Quote:
I said MOS has gotten flack it didn't deserve and I don't think it deserved such a low score on RT.
People are too cynical these days (Spoilers)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/.../217518277?p=1

Last edited by mace1; 07-26-2013 at 09:58 PM.