View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #216
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I think what is happening is inevitable, and TBH maybe we should be trying to look at this more positively.

We knew that WB were going to try and rush through some kind of response to Avengers. They needs to compete. Look at all the franchises going on at the moment.

Next year you've got Days Of Future Past, The Amazing Spider-man 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians Of The Galaxy. Then 2015 has Avengers: Age Of Ultron, The Fantastic Four and Ant-man.

If they want to start remotely competing in the superhero film department, they need to step it up in 'scale'. They need to start making a DC universe now.

Do I was it was different? God yes. If I could have my wish granted it would be that they had made a great Superman film long before the MCU ever started phase one. That we'd had the chance to really cement Superman's place as a hero whose HEROICS are epic, not just the movies visuals.

But what we have is what we have.

And we have to be realistic.

We're pretty lucky they are doing Batman/Superman first and not just rushing in head on to a JL movie (which is what it looked like they were going to do for a while there, when Snyder was saying that would be a seperate thing from the MOS universe).

We will at least get half a movie dedicated to telling a bit more of this Superman's journey. There is at least a small chance that we might see some of the issues from MOS resolved, and see some of the things we didn't get to see (like CK working as a journalist, Lex Luthor, Superman saving people from 'normal' things etc).

We'd be even less likely to see that if they were just throwing us straight into JL.

And the real silver lining for me, is that once they've got the 'rush' to catch up with the MCU out of their system, and we have Batman/Superman and probably JL after that... we might actually get to see some more solo outings. And Goyer/Snyder can't be the only writers involved forever.

Maybe then we'll get the Superman movie we deserve.

There is still hope
True and most of these films have massive casts/characters. Heck, even with ASM2 it seemed like a new character was added every week to that movie. First Class is one of my favorite all time comic book films and I was disappointed to hear that instead of just moving forward with the original cast and characters that Singer is also bringing back most of the team from the original films.

In this case, the MOS sequel, is adding just one extra character from the hero world. Now granted, it's Batman, one of the biggest heroes ever, I get that. However, I will continue to say this, you cannot have a shared universe and not have another character from the hero world step up once someone like Superman shows up, especially with the events of MOS. When Iron Man showed up, Fury appeared by the end of the first movie. In this case it is Batman that is appearing, reacting to Superman's appearance. And I understand Batman will have a bigger role than Fury, but it does make sense that he would be used as a reaction to Superman.