View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #123
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
As cliche as it might be I think a montage of Superman in suit saving people and being warm and smiling before Zod shows up would have helped. Then there could be reactions and news reports about this flying savior which addresses the people's reaction acceptance or distrust of this alien that goyer said would be explored but was barely touched upon. Which would culminate when Zod finally shows up and demands Kal, then showing the people being conflicted about whether to turn him in or not after all the good he done. Not enough time in the movie for this? As much as I like the krypton scenes I do think they could have been cut.
It would not have worked at all for the film. They took the disruption that realizing that there is a Super-powered alien among us would cause seriously. In such a situation, Clark needs a truly compelling reason to act in a fully public way. Zod coming is the truly compeling reason.

Maybe I come at this a bit differently because for me the standard is "The Pilot" of "Lois and Clark". We can reduce all the Superman saves in that show to saving Lois Lane.

Anyway, we saw Clark save the oil workers.

When would he have gone public. Lois suppressed her story. She agrees people are not ready. If he tried going public after Zod's announcement people would just arrest him.

This whole complaint is a sign of not judging the film on its own merits, but wanting it to fit in the mold of another film. I am glad they did not follow the mold of STM on this matter.

In the L&C pilot, Superman stops the bomb, lifts the space shuttle, then flies Lois into the planet. I really do not see the advantage of a montage of saves scenes. Anyway, STM had the oddity that despite police were there to see the helicopter save, the news has not reached all police units. That made no sense.