View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #566
EssayM
Just A Guy

Default Re: Your top 5 things that needs to be "fixed" for the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
His turn from Harvey to Two-Face was extremely strong. Everyone of course wanted him to last longer as a villain, but his turn?? Absolutely amazing. Eckhart nailed it.
Eh, I don't know about that. He had some good lines and the makeup looked cool, but as a character, I found him a little bland in comparison to other incarnations of the character. Like in TAS, they established him as a likeable, normal guy, then gradually revealed some of the inner demons he was battling, and gradually upped the pressure on him from Thorne and everything else until it made sense for him snap under all of it.

In TDK, they built Harvey up as a blond, square-jawed SAINT who can do no wrong and has no flaws (him threatening the decoy cop was understandable under the circumstances), to the point where I found him a bit punchable. And then there was the way they transformed him; besides the fact that it felt like a cheap way to make people give a damn about Rachel Dawes (would you even remember her name if she hadn't died?), his agreement with the psycho that killed his girlfriend happens so quickly that I feel like Harvey either a) is an easily-led moron, or b) was a jerk all along and thus does not deserve my sympathy.

Because of all this, I didn't find him nearly as engaging as the Two-Face in the comics and cartoons. Eckhart did a good job, it just wasn't a very well-written character arc.

Last edited by EssayM; 07-31-2013 at 04:54 PM.
EssayM is offline   Reply With Quote