View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #41
Figs
Side-Kick

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Last I checked Spider-Man was an incredibly popular movie that broke the opening weekend and was the zeitgeist film of its year. Didn't matter who the villain in the sequel was. It was going to break bank. It did.

The Amazing Spider-Man wasn't exactly as well received. Very much a middle-of-the-road reaction. Some loved it. Some hated it. Most thought it was OK and moved on. Quite different circumstances this time.
Raimi's Spider-Man had the hype for being the very first Spider-Man film, I don't count that low budget garbage that was from the 80s(or early 90s, don't remember).

If the films had been reversed and Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man came out first, it would have probably done just as well as Raimi's first film.

Like I said before, the movie most likely won't make more than the first film, I don't recall that many sequels in the past achieving that anyways, but I don't think it will bomb or fall flat at the BO. It's all about how they sell the film to the GA, the trailers better have some great action to get asses in the seats. One of the problems with Webb's first film(other than being an unnecessary reboot) was the action was kind of boring. Also, I wouldn't doubt if a good number of people were so used to Macguire and that cast that they couldn't get into to the new one. Reminds me of a lot of the over the top hate towards Man of Steel, a lot of which amounted to "it's not Christopher Reeve anymore whaaaaa!"