View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #73
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
They have the potential to release what sounds like a fantasy epic. Something more than typical Marvel comic book affair. I just hope they realize this potential. Marvel has to start stepping out of their box if they want to keep me and the general audience coming back on into phase 4 and beyond. They can't just plug new character and situations into the same formula and expect it to stay fresh. I'm already tired of all their films having that "Marvel" look and feel. Show me some originality and take some risks.

And they can thank Iron Man 3 for this. After Avengers I was fully on board the Marvel train and all I heard was Phase 2 would be evaluating different themes and taking inspiration from different genres. I was expecting to see some risks on screen and Marvel stepping outside of their comfort zone and evolving. I was expecting maybe a little intelligent depth in their stories. And right out the gate of Phase 2 we got the bland disconnected formulaic Iron Man 3. Not a great start. If Thor turns out to be typical Marvel then I'm gonna have to reevaluate my view of what Marvel is doing and whether I want to continue to pay $10 at the theater for their films.
Like Joey, I completely disagree with what you said about IM3. I found it to be very sharply written, fresh & had a very distinct [Shane Black] tone that sets it apart from not only other Marvel Studios films, but from any other superhero film, full stop.

Stark had a great arc. Does the suit make the man, or does the man make the suit. His PTSD & anxiety, feeling like he might not be up to the challenge of what's out there because he's "just a man in a can", all that was handled very well & Downey was fantastic with it.

The Mandarin worked on multiple levels without kicking you in the head with it's ideas. Simultaniously skewering the post-Nolan audience expectations of "realistic" villains, commenting on the idea of corporate & media created boogeymen in the real world, & working as a dark mirror of Stark.

Where Stark uses his fame to his advantage, Killian realises he can use his anonymity to his own ends.
Where Stark uses his own genius to make himself powerful, Killian uses other peoples genius.

Formulaic and safe my arse.

Some people act like if a movie is funny then it can't have character developement or deal with serious themes, which is utterly ridiclous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I can say that because it's pretty much common sense,
Lol, no, it's not common sense. THOR has nothing to do with this, DARK WORLD is an entirely different film, one you haven't seen either cut of DW (again, if there even is an "either cut"), therefore, according to common sense, you have no idea which cut is the better film. Longer doesn't automatically mean better.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...

Last edited by Moridin; 07-31-2013 at 05:24 PM.