View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #83
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Like Joey, I completely disagree with what you said about IM3. I found it to be very sharply written, fresh & had a very distinct [Shane Black] tone that sets it apart from not only other Marvel Studios films, but from any other superhero film, full stop.

Stark had a great arc. Does the suit make the man, or does the man make the suit. His PTSD & anxiety, feeling like he might not be up to the challenge of what's out there because he's "just a man in a can", all that was handled very well & Downey was fantastic with it.

The Mandarin worked on multiple levels without kicking you in the head with it's ideas. Simultaniously skewering the post-Nolan audience expectations of "realistic" villains, commenting on the idea of corporate & media created boogeymen in the real world, & working as a dark mirror of Stark.

Where Stark uses his fame to his advantage, Killian realises he can use his anonymity to his own ends.
Where Stark uses his own genius to make himself powerful, Killian uses other peoples genius.

Formulaic and safe my arse.

Some people act like if a movie is funny then it can't have character developement or deal with serious themes, which is utterly ridiclous.

If IM3 was formulaic and safe, the fanboys would've eaten it up. That's proof alone that it wasn't.