View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #557
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?

Default Re: Where does Iron Man 2 stand among other superhero sequels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Iron Man 2 is boring and many things went wrong.
Well boredom is pretty subjective. I wasn't bored at all. Now MoS and TDKR bored me quite a bit with their dour, drab boring plots and acting/story but I guess to each his/her own. IM2 had too much humor for it to be boring. In fact boredom is the last word I'd use to describe ANY of the IM movies.

Quote:
Its main problem is the villain: you cannot build up a villain such as Whiplash with Mickey Rourke and have him doing nothing during all the movie.
Oh he did stuff. I would have liked more but what he did was gold, IMO.

Quote:
And with no villain doing anything interesting - Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer was barely the comedic relief, no more than an enabler - the hero doesn't have much to do either: all that happened was Tony Stark fighting drunk with his pal - and we all knew nobody was in real danger there
No hero is ever really in danger in any superhero movie other than maybe Kick-Ass or Watchmen(since there were no sequels to go for yet that movie still sucked).

Quote:
- and profuse introduction of the upcoming Avengers movie's characters. The plot about Tony dying got diluted in this narrative void.
I thought it was brought to a logical conclusion and I was satisfied. BW and Fury would be in an Iron Man movie even if there were no Avengers. And the Avengers stuff took up maybe 5 minutes of the whole thing. I didn't have a problem with it at all. They're doing more than making 1 simple film, they're building a universe.

Quote:
As for second parts, it's the least favorite of mine:

The Dark Knight
Spider-Man 2
Superman II
Batman Returns
X2
I'd rank IM2 far above any of those horrible-to-average movies.

Quote:
I can't see a vital purpose for her in the movie; nothing that was ultimately necessary. It wasn't until Avengers that she really shined.
Her purpose was to build on the universe. It wasn't her movie so it's not like it was supposed to show her story. She's supposed to be kinda a mystery in this film. I think she did just fine. Lois Lane in MoS, now there's a character who didn't need to be there nd only was there because it was expected. Same with Catwoman in TDKR.