View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman 89 vs Batman Begins

It is all about preferences. These films are essentially almost the polar opposite of each other. One is realistic, the other one is very fantasy-oriented. One is an in-depth character study of Bruce Wayne, the other has a very mysterious Batman. One is trying to be a fun popcorn flick, the other is not. One is more like the Golden Age Batman whereas the other is more like the Modern Age Batman. There is really no way to compare them. It is all about which version you personally prefer and there are less objective answers than the MOS vs. S:TM thread and the SM1 vs. TASM thread, where both films respectively cover a lot of the same ground and that leaves room for debate for which one did a better job at covering that ground. Not the same case here.

For me, I went with Batman Begins because it is closer to what I envision Batman to be. I was never a big fan of the 1989 film. There are some things that I love about it (Gotham's look, Jack as the Joker, Keaton and the batsuit, Alfred, the batmobile, etc.) but overall, I was never too crazy over it even as a kid. Then again, I haven't had nearly as much exposure to the Burton/Schumacher franchise as other people in my generation when I was younger. Mainly Batman TAS and Mask of the Phantasm were my "Batman drug" growing up.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote