View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #96
NanaT
X-Men United!

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
As one who is of mixed Egyptian heritage myself (did you already know that and purposely used it as a point of relevance? If so, you're brilliant) I totally agree with you. For example, consider Queen Nefertiti.

So it could work. But there's more to being/looking African than just the skin tone. It also involves Halle's features, which are very fine and European. She is obviously stunningly gorgeous, but she's also clearly of multicultural heritage. Comic Storm is black--straight up. And I'm not talking about size or fullness or lips, nose or dark skin elements. Halle, by comparison, is just very exotic in appearance. And then you have the accent issue. She's too Americanized as of X2 and X3. It'd be terribly difficult to explain, let alone believe. If they had been consistent with Storm in these films from jump it might work. But now? Her characterization is all over the place. They can't suddenly take her roots back to Africa so late in the game.

Another fair complexioned actress with an accent would be believable as Storm. But not Halle Berry, and certainly not as she's been portrayed thusfar in this franchise. This is why so many legions of fans don't care for this actress in the role...she just doesn't *feel* right when compared to the statuesque African Weather Goddess of comic lore.
It's funny you should say that. You know back in 2007 Halle was set to produce and star as Nefertiti in a movie of the same name. She was going to re-team with Marc Foster the director of Monster's Ball which won her an Oscar. Everything was going well than Halle Berry got pregnant with Nahla and the project was never resurrected.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER