View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #64
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Default Re: First Class 3 or X-Men 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
The only aging actors that concern me are McKellen and Stewart. While it would be a big loss to see these guys leave, they've both put in the hours already and are not the be all and end all of this franchise. There are other villains, and the X-Men can continue without Professor X. We even have younger incarnations of these characters, played by a pair of great actors.

Hugh Jackman's time as Wolverine may be winding down, but he still sounds pretty enthused about the character so we really don't know what will happen. Halle and Famke have both appeared to be very interested in reprising their roles. These people may be a little older than the average action stars by now, but it's hardly a dire situation. They no doubt look better than any of us will in our 40's lol.

It really comes down to Stewart and McKellen, but despite my love for both, I have to ask: Are two old guys really such a big draw to this franchise?
This gets to more of the point I was trying to make, but got sidetracked - so much of the talk of continuing the franchise here revolves around using the cast of FC vs. the cast of OT. Stewart & McKellen are a huge part of the success of the OT, so any argument that favors the OT cast has to include the question, "Does Fox think making films with the OT cast minus Stewart & McKellan make sense?" Because let's be real, how many more X-Men films can we expect from those two?

Personally, I don't think it does. Part of the fun in bringing back the OT cast for DOFP is that it involves most of the important players. Without Stewart & McKellan, you lose two of the three most important actors from that cast (and that's assuming Jackman continues making these movies for a while).

That was my point about Anna Paquin, Halle Berry, Shawn Ashmore & Ellen Page - while they are all solid actors & have characters with fun powers, are they enough to carry a franchise without Xavier & Magneto played by Stewart & McKellan? Even if Jackman, Marsden & Jansen return, you're missing a huge piece of what ignited the franchise and any film involving that cast without the two elder statesmen will feel incomplete IMO. That was the point I was trying to make in the first place.

H.U.S.T.L.E. is offline   Reply With Quote