View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #74
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Plus I don't think that the general audience is anywhere as nostalgic about the old cast, particularly its minor characters, as the die-hard fans are.
Die-hard fans account for a significant percentage of the repeat viewings and buzz that will sustain this film after its opening weekend. And its the enthusiasm of the fans, coupled with that of the media that may have a huge influence on the general audience (word of mouth, casual fans, etc.,). This is evidenced in the huge boom in sales as seen in The Last Stand over X-Men United. The latter film is what truly brought this franchise mainstream, and if FOX markets it properly even the general audience will feel the need to come out for "the reunion."

However, I do agree with you that there may be a notion of "been-there, done that" with commercials, etc. When I viewed the leaked footage I definitely felt that way (for all 38 seconds ). So FOX should figure out some more creative ways of marketing it so it does seem like an "event" film that is fresh and different from what has preceded it.

So far, the posters suggest something new is afoot.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.