View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #110
justpassinby
Side-Kick

Default Re: Lol...if i didnīt know the critics and GAīs score for this movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Difference is, the prequels are almost universally disliked to meh. Rises, on the other hand, is a lot more well liked. I don't point to ratings usually when it comes to quality (I really only think it's a usually good way of saying good or bad, but not putting them in order) and I do think they are heavily flawed but, looking at rating sites, you can see the difference in people's opinions overall.
Well, mainly Jedi

Thing with the prequels is, once you ignore certain annoying elements of either movie which I really think are more or less universally panned (Jar Jar Binks; the childishness of kid Anakin, and then the cheesy romance subplot in Clones; that balcony scene from III, and couple more), they're pretty much enjoyable adventure movies.
Characters are kind of stoic, not the best plot development etc., but the "general audience" just looks at it and says "hey, that's pretty, hey that was funny, /like" and gives it favorable reviews.

It's only really when you get into the details, discussing storytelling, and how they got the old trilogy wrong, missed opportunities, things that don't make sense, poor character arcs etc., when suddenly the faces start getting longer.
It's not an invalid perspective, or more valid for that matter... just a more advanced one; you're more "into" the material and start looking at closer at the "craft of it" and comparing it to more and more alternatives that start coming up, and eventually conclude that yea, what a bunch of strange decisions isn't it. And that, given how it's Star Wars and all, seems to be the general critical crowd you'll encounter in internerd culture.

IMDB/RT rating don't just reflect their views, however. Point is, away with the bitterness against the "vocal minority" - first of all it's not that much of a minority when it comes to those panned elements, and secondly they have their good reasons

Event Horizon has a vocal minority that makes it seem like a classic horror movie despite being incomprehensible panned everywhere major, and no one's complaining about that or are they?

justpassinby is offline   Reply With Quote