View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Say something positive about The Last Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
X3: a flawed good movie. A story that felt like everything was getting done, and everything from X1 and X2 became the ultimate test for all of the characters in X3. Epic because of the fights; taking chances because characters were being killed off; and relatable for some, if not all of us when we are asked if we would take the cure ourselves to become like everyone else, or be different from them. Kelsey Grammar as Beast, and Ellen Page as Kitty were great casting (as evidence with Page's return in DOFP).

Sure Ratner screwed up in keeping some of the wrong scenes and versions of scenes in the movie, and leaving what we all agree to be the better versions of those scenes deleted from the final product. Sure, it's sad that even if the story was sorta a subplot; Phoenix being a split personaloty is a far cry from the Singer and Vaughn's versions where she wasn't, and was something more akin to as if she was the next evolution of mutant, almost. But it could've been worst, and The Wolverine and DOFP have kept X3 as canon. It's flawed, and for me it depends on my feelings of the day and time on whether its okay or good, but overall; it's not as bad as many people think it is. In fact, it's what I said above: a flawed good movie, and conclusion to the X-Men trilogy.
Well, I thnk it would have been better if Singer had directed the third movie, obviously, as it would have lined up far better with the previous two as a more seamless trilogy.

I'm not really sure what Singer was really trying to say with his idea of Phoenix evolving into a cosmic consciousness, except maybe hinting that this is the future of all mankind. It was more like copying the concept behind 2001: A Space Odyssey than anything.

But Ratner's version retained some of the idea. Magneto says to Jean that 'we thought we'd found the next stage of human evolution' and refers to her as a 'goddess'. Sadly, we didn't get a firebird (for whatever reason) though.

Chat to me on Twitter @ TheGeekFiles
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote