View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #67
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Are you tired of Wolverine being overexposed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory View Post
I disagree that X2 was all that balanced. Yes, characters like Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, Jean, Nightcrawler, Iceman, and Rogue all had little arcs and things to do (and, to a much lesser extent, Storm. Her and Cyclops really got the shaft and all the movies, no matter how much Halle was physically on camera). But Wolverine was needlessly inserted to the center of the plot for one reason: Stryker's role in his adamantium. This aspect wasn't in the comics and was created solely to give Wolverine something to do that was important to the film. To me, that's absolutely a trait of "overexposure."

Sure, I get that the filmmakers felt audiences needed answers about Wolverine's past, and his past is a big part of X-Men mythos. It still could have been done in a way that included everyone, a la the second Ultimate X-Men story arc.

As for Avengers, I never really saw it as the Tony show. Hulk and Black Widow got adequate development, and Captain America played a pretty big role and was the leader he was supposed to be. If anything, Avengers nailed the team dynamic X-Men should have had: yes, give your "most interesting" character a lot of screen time, but still have the leader be the leader. I feel the only ones who were shafted in Avengers were obviously Hawkeye and possibly Thor.
Agreed.

I find that, on the X boards the only people claiming that the Avengers was about Iron Man are the ones who are generally annoyed that the X Films are rightly criticized for not doing team dynamics and character screentime as well as The Avengers.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote