View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #27
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: The whole "freak" thing is getting old and makes no sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuki View Post
Both in movies and comics the super heroes are often perceived by the population and even by their enemies as "freaks". Sometimes they´re treated like if they had some serious contagious disease. Don´t you think this is exactly the opposite of what would probably happen in reality?

I mean, if tomorrow the real world discovered someone with powers(or even without) that were able to fight crime by his own hands, do you really think everyone would be referring to him as "freak" in a disdainful way? I honestly believe that if Batman, the X-Men, Superman or Spider-Man existed, they would be idolized by population in general. I find it much more likely that they would be seen as gods than seen as freaks that need to be marginalized.

I honestly don´t know why in comics, movies and cartoons, this idea of them being freaks is repeated over and over again. It really doesn´t make that much sense. They´re superior beings and can do what any person would like to be able to do. There´s no reason for them to be seen as inferior and discriminated.

"Freak, freak, freak, freak, freak, freak". Enough already. Do something different.
Batman: You think people would generally like the idea of some nujtob playing Halloween dress up going out and taking the law into his own hands? Sure he hasn't killed anyone...yet. Do you think civil rights groups would like someone choosing who to punish and commit assault, battery, torture, and possibly even kidnapping with? Do you think they'd like the idea of their elected government officials hiding behind a weirdo who has no accountability?

Look at this way: Have you seen HBO's "real superheroes" documentary? Pretty weird. Imagine that, except they were actually succeeding at affecting change.

X-Men: A group of different people who are not only superpowered, but represent a change in culture? A group of people who genetically are different that your children could "turn" into?

Have you not seen how people react to differences of sexuality, even in their own families, or matters of race, religion and gender? Now you want to say that they may be blue, furry or have the ability to kill you with retractable claws and eye lasers?

Spider-Man: Read what I said about the above two and combine them.

Superman: A single man who is more powerful than a nuclear weapon and is basically omnipotent. Terrifying. Especially for powerful governments who are now essentially powerless to this thing that could wipe out their countries, if it so chose.

That in a nutshell is why it is a very honest reaction.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 08-18-2013 at 07:02 PM.
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote