View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #34
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: The whole "freak" thing is getting old and makes no sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I'm sorry, but you miss the point: yes, they *are* our children. Every mutant child has human parents ( or in some vanishingly rare as-yet cases, grandparents ). They are only as culturally "other" as their parents choose to make them. . . and with no existing reference frame for "othering" them. There is literally no existing groundwork for people choosing to decree that their children are not actually their children, but some monstrous inhuman other.

Which is why I maintain that, no, it makes little sense for mutants to automatically be treated as some single unified instant minority by the common culture, in the way it always has been portrayed. Distrusted by the government because of reasons of power, sure, but being distrusted by the government is hardly the reason for universal cultural ostracism. Quite the opposite: you'd expect being mistreated by "The Man" would draw instant partisans in support from numerous quarters.

The rest is, still, complete nonsense even if it is likely to be believed. Mutants are only automatically replacing humans in the sense that each generation eventually ages and dies and is replaced by the next. This is *not* "extinction", this is life as it has always been. It only becomes a tragedy in the mind's eye if you choose to define mutants as the Other, but as I've already said, that makes no sense on the face of it.
People reject and revile their own biological children all the time. They do it for a variety of reasons: sexual orientation, behavior, lifestyle decisions, religious beliefs (or lack thereof), disagreements, etc. I've known a few people whose parents kicked them out and disowned them the instant they came out as gay or lesbian. In fact, a significant percentage of homeless youth in America were evicted from their homes by their parents because of their sexuality. (LGBT kids comprise only 5% of the youth population, but they are up to 40% of the homeless youth in the US.) Plenty of children are abandoned at all stages of life by parents who can't care for them or refuse to do so. Some parents actually murder their own children for whatever sick reason. So where you've come up with this idea that parents won't reject their own offspring baffles me.

With some parents in the real world turning on their children because they are LGBT or for other reasons, one can readily assume that some would also turn on mutant children. Like sexual orientation, mutation is an immutable characteristic, one that the children cannot ever set aside. Like Bobby Drake's parents in X2, there would be some families who were frightened of their own kids and reject them as soon as the mutation manifested. Some families would accept and love mutant children, of course, but the prospect of rejection is quite a real and relevant factor.

Beyond that, the communities in which mutants lived would probably tend to react with panic and hostility. You may be too young to remember it, but in the 1980s, when AIDS first became a major public health issue, many communities around the US turned viciously on children who contracted the disease. Ignorance and hysteria metastasized into campaigns to ostracize AIDS victims, keep them out of school and sometimes drive their families out of their communities. It was organized harassment fueled by fear of a new, deadly disease that no one understood at the time. Politicians and religious leaders joined in as well, at times encouraging the fear. It's not hard to imagine something similar and perhaps infinitely worse happening to mutant children.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote