Thread: Tdk vs Avengers
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #117
Victarion
Cut

Default Re: Tdk vs Avengers

For all your talk about Nolan eschewing imaginative villains and fantasy concepts, I just don't see it. Joker's backstory - "You wanna know how I got these scars" - and overarching goal are straight from the comics. The backstory is a direct reference to his preference for a multiple-choice origin, while his overcarhcing goal is adapted from The Killing Joke; replace Jim Gordon with TDK's Harvey Dent. I don't believe that you could look at Nolan's Two-face and honestly tell yourself that the scarring isn't a fantasy concept. A guy that badly scarred shouldn't be near as vocal as Dent was, and would likely have screamed himself raw after throwing back that shot of whiskey.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote