View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #79
K.Cruz
Side-Kick

Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
I agree with Leenie, it was far more brother and sister.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
ALSO the shirtless scene was there to show that she is a girl and that she is maturing and that she does have a crush on Dave. Without that scene? The kiss would have come out of thin air. But, she acted like a girl would. She developed a crush on a guy and took the initiative. Dave wasn't strutting around shirtless for her or trying to get her attention he viewed her as clearly non-sexual it was the ease of taking your shirt off around a family member on a scorching summer day, he wasn't "god that was cool!" after the kiss. Everything points to it being Hit Girl becoming a woman. If Dave reciprocated in that manner - they would have shown him in that manner. Basically he acted and talked about her like I would talk about a cousin, and reciprocated from the kiss as I would if it was a cousin - "what was that?" I see everything pointing to Mindy liking Dave, but nothing pointing to Dave liking her in that way. He would have at least smiled after the kiss, not act shocked and surprised and taken aback and ask why. And the ending pointed more towards her having confidence around a guy so she could find a boyfriend/s in the city. Her taking the initiative was the key, her taking the first step towards "I'm a girl and that's cool and now I can go to the city with confidence of being a girl who could be with a guy and fight crime!" That's what the ending showed me.
Sorry, but that goes against subtext and screenwriting. You don't put something like that in there unless you're setting something up for the future. Read my posts carefully. I never said Dave was attracted to her already. I said she likes him now, and he will grow to like her if a 3rd movie gets made. You honestly think hit-girl is just going to have random boyfriends in the city now? No one other than Dave understands her. No one other than Dave can fully appreciate her for who she is. That's why rather than going home first, she goes to see Dave after the date ditch. "I had to see my Robin." And speaking of that, she's not going to be in any hurry to trust another strange guy again after the date ditch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Clearly to me its some fanboys letting their imaginations run wild. We have had proof that Hit Girl likes Dave. We have had proof that Dave sees her in a non sexual manner. Where exactly is the proof that he was turned on by her? Usually when guys are excited - we have difficulty hiding it. We go "oh, wow" (smile, blush, something we can't help) not "what the heck was that? Okay...." They set Hit Girl up, where was Dave at all reciprocating it? If they wanted that? He would have at least smiled rather than acting like kissing cousins and awkwardly taken aback as if she was his cousin. Basically where is the proof on Dave's end rather than speculation?

Saying Dave 'might' develop feelings later despite going "what the heck? Okay..." is speculation not based on anything in the film.

As to why? The whole film was about Hit Girl's developing femininity and being able to take charge of her life as a girl rather than following the girls. Due to screen time and everything like that, from a structural stand-point it is fairly obvious why things happened and why she acts the way she does. However, on this same hand, where was Dave's reciprocation in a sexual manner? This isn't a hard thing to write or portray - a smile or a blush, not a confused scrunched face. Even if those feelings were there but not unearthed yet, there would have been some notion of that - not the look of somebody's who just been violated. A random girl? Cool! A cousin? Eww. Not that difficult to portray - they chose the scrunched face.
It's called screenwriting and subtext. He doesn't like her in that way... yet. He will if there's a 3rd film. That's the subtext this movie implies. She saw him change and became attracted. If there's a 3rd film, he'll see her get older and become a woman and become attracted. They are the only two people who can fully understand each other. This movie makes that clear. And you're acting as if he was grossed out by the kiss. That's simply not true. He was surprised. That's all. Attraction changed according to physical aspects and emotions. Later on, when she's older, assuming he sees her again, it's very likely he'll be attracted to her. Aside from that, what natural progression is there? They've already hammered it to us that NB and Katie can't fully relate to him. They've already hammered it to us that 99.9% of guys can't relate to or even come close to understanding hit-girl. Either they won't end up with anyone, or they'll both die, or they'll be with each other. There's also a small outside chance that Hit-girl and Todd will end up together given him saying he was going to save himself for her in the first movie. What other possibility is there? Dave won't just be with some random girl who is perfectly okay with him being Kick-ass, and Hit-girl won't just be with some random guy who is perfectly okay with her being hit-girl. Ask yourself what's more likely if a third film gets made- A- Hit-girl's crush on Dave and her first kiss being with him being completely ignored and swept under the rug and her dating random guys. B- She already likes him, so he'll eventually like her. Basic history of screenwriting tells us it'll be B.

Quote:
, it's just storytelling. They established that Dave cannot relate to Katie or NB in KA2. He will likely be in a lonely place in KA3 with no father and likely little in his life but superheroing.

They established HG likes Dave in KA2 and leave Dave's reaction as stunned as he only finds out with 2 minutes of movie left.

By the next time there is a third one, assuming they ever make it, she will be 18 or 19 and Dave will be in a bad place.

I am not saying this is how I would have done it. I am just saying this is Hollywood romance 101. They are setting the deck for the next one. It is kind of obvious.
Exactly. The other guy is acting as if Dave vomits after she kisses him. He's just surprised that she chose to do that. That's why he asks her "What was that?" And the thought of Mindy dating random guys in a different city is laughable. It completely goes against the nature of her character and what this movie shows us.

Last edited by K.Cruz; 08-20-2013 at 09:32 AM.
K.Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote