Thread: Superman Lives!
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #328
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Superman Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
So those staying that the first pic leaked was a test suit were wrong, Cage pretty much confirms it wasn't here. I'd say that the of if the awful suit was the one he'd have and at the end of the film whereas the pic it's the decent suit would've been the suit he wore before.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=13667
No, Nic Cage doesn't say that suit or that hair in that wardrobe shot is the way it would have looked in the Superman Lives film. Cage said "the first image looked terrible...but it's not being judged fairly...You've just got a stark wardrobe shot..." He also adds that (in the movie) you'd "have the lighting that Tim does, or the set, or the shade, or all of that built up."

Quote:
Wonder when we'll hear anything on the doc
Here's some updates on Jon Schnepp's documentary The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? that he's posted on twitter and instagram:

Jon Schnepp: "Interviewed screenwriter Wesley Strick today for my documentary The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?"
http://instagram.com/p/bIGarZheGZ/

Jon Schnepp: "Superman Interview with Eric Powell!!!"
http://instagram.com/p/b9NZM4BeNA/

Jon Schnepp: "Just shot a segment with the incredible Grant Morrison for The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?"
http://instagram.com/p/caGGSvBeNt/

Jon Schnepp: "Just interviewed the incredible Liam Sharp for the Superman Lives Documentary"
http://instagram.com/p/b4oyBWBeBG/

At Florida's Supercon Jon Schnepp explained a lot about the documentary and his motivation behind it and the slower than anticipated process of scheduling the availability of Kevin Smith and Tim Burton and Nicolas Cage, etc. for interviews for the documentary in between their own filmmaking scheduling. Kevin Smith has his current Clerks 3 and Tusk film projects and SModcast and Fat Man on Batman podcasts, Tim Burton is currently filming Big Eyes starring Amy Adams, and Nicolas Cage is currently filming Left Behind.

Jon Schnepp: "Right now I'm working on The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? Kevin Smith wrote a script for Jon Peters. Tim Burton got hired. Nicolas Cage was gonna be Superman. And I'm the guy who raised money to make a documentary on that on Kickstarter. I don't know if you heard about that. Seriously, when I first heard about it in 1998 I went, 'oh, that's gonna be pretty weird.' And then it didn't happen. And then little things started dropping online. I could see some weird cyber Superman outfit and a giant Brainiac Skull Ship, and I was like, 'Wow, this movie would have been really weird.' And then Superman Returns came out and I didn't like it. I thought it was boring. I actually passed out twice when I watched it. That reenergized my thought process, since that movie was a dud Superman. What if they made that weird science fiction Superman that Tim Burton was gonna make? I started researching and finding more and more. More and more artists that worked on it started popping their art just on the internet. So literally I started creating these little folders, once a month I'd search for Superman information. Last year, in November I meet Steve Johnson who did that weird rainbow suit on Superman. I said to him, 'That Superman suit you did is awesome.' My friends said, 'You should do a documentary on it.' I said, 'Maybe I will.' I went, 'I wouldn't mind doing a documentary. No one else is going to do this.' And the more I thought about it, I said, 'I'm just going to put my mind to it and see what I can do.' And I came up with a game plan. I started a Kickstarter and raised money. Just enough to make the documentary. I'm talking to Kevin Smith's publicist Meg. We're working it out. So I'm doing that now."
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Jon Schnepp: "I'm a big fan of Kickstarter. Second one I ran was in January this year to make a documentary based on the Tim Burton/Nicolas Cage Superman movie that never happened. It was gonna happen in 1998 and it was gonna be called Superman Lives. You might have heard Kevin Smith talk about his participation in it. He wrote a script for Jon Peters. Then Tim Burton was hired to direct it. And then Tim Burton hired this other guy Wesley Strick to rewrite the entire thing. So then all this art started being made. Weird outfits with laser lights that you might have seen on YouTube. A lot of artwork over the last 15 years slowly went up on the internet. I was one of those people that's like, 'Wow, that's a really strange robot suit for Superman.' So I made this Superman folder on my desktop like for years, once every couple of months I'd search concept art. Then Superman Returns came out and I really didn't want to see another Donner Superman, so for me it made me more interested in what the other iteration of Superman was gonna be in movies. A lot of people were like, 'Nicolas Cage as Superman? That's horrible. Why was he gonna have a rainbow outfit?' To me, I was like, 'Bring it, man.' That would have been cool. A science fiction weird Tim Burton Superman movie. There are many different litterations of Superman. And you know what, he was only Superman for like one day in that new Man of Steel. Everyone was like, 'He didn't know how to fight.' He just got the outfit. He literally was like, 'How weird. I'm an alien. I'm inside this space ship. Here's this blue outfit.' And then flying and falling. He was like The Greatest American Hero, 'I don't know how to fly.' And then go to jail. Give Superman a break. I think Superman Lives would have been a really cool cosmic science fiction Superman. To me that's what interested me. All of the artwork was so creative and explosive. If they were able to make that it would have been this really fun and really strange adventure. It might not have been what everybody expects from a Superman movie, we would have also seen Brainac. I would have liked to have seen a lot more movies. Anyway. I'm working on this documentary. I've interviewed a lot of people. I interviewed Liam Sharp who designed this crazy like Egyptian style robot outfit for Superman. He lives in England, but he's here at Comic Con. I got to interview him. Comic Cons been really helpful. Nicolas Cage actually is looking forward to the documentary. I'm looking forward to interviewing Nicolas Cage. I've been rocking all of these interviews. The documentary is an artists look at the film that didn't get made, which I think would have been a great film. I would have liked it. I think it would have been a cool film. The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? It's probably gonna come out in March or April. Originally I was like 'I'll get it done in November.' That's not happening. I realized you can't do that with a documentary. You have to call people, 'What time are you available? Oh, three months from now? Okay. I'm gonna write that down.' It's scheduling. And then asking questions and finding out. I'm enjoying it but man, it's a different process. I've got to interview 19 more people. The way I'm structuring it, it's like a three act play. And also all these people who have been writers and artists, like Grant Morrison, I want them to also talk about the mythos of Superman and what superheroes in general mean. And then Superman Lives falls into that. Here's a project that didn't happen, but it's in the pantheon of Superman."
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Clear as day, theMan-Bat would defend a Burton Superman and somehow claim that it's true to the original character created by Siegel and Shuster...
Basically it is. As Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster intended, in Burton's Superman Lives Superman was the sole survivor of the Kryptonian race.

He was already Superman for years before he learned that he's an alien from Krypton. Lois Lane didn't know his secret identity until Clark reveals it to her.

As conceived and created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Superman has a generally positive, upbeat, enthusiastic personality, often smiling. Showed a great sense of humor. The original Golden Age version that was conceived and created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster was the lively, smiling, wisecracking Douglas Fairbanks type. Douglas Fairbanks was the influence on the creation of Superman's personality. The Wesley Strick script says Tim Burton's Superman Lives Clark smiles. Has a light hearted sense of humor. And while talking to K the script says Clark tries to make light of the situation. There are fun uplifting cheer moments. When powerless Superman tricks Brainiac into thinking that he is going to be atomized to death by the sun-gun, it actually restores Superman's strength, and Superman remarks humorously, "That dose of yellow sun was what the doctor ordered." While confronted with Brainiac's Beast Army, Superman throws one into another, which smashes into the one behind him, etc. Superman wisecracks, "We call that the domino effect." As Superman walks with Lois Lane a little girl asks..."C'n I get his autograph?" Her mom says, "Leave him be, they look so happy."

Superman was meant to be better than the rest of us and inspire us to better ourselves. Admired by the general public and recognized as a hero. With Superman Lives Nicolas Cage wanted to try and inspire children around the world to better themselves. Nicolas Cage said "The death of Superman and his resurrection will be a part of the story, but I have other points that I want to address. I saw it for me as an opportunity to reach a lot of kids around the world and say something positive. I've never really made a movie for children before, but to me, Superman is an opportunity to reach children all around the world, and to say something to them that I believe. I guess I'm trying to take the judgment out of the way kids treat each other. To me, this project is very important because it's going to affect children around the world. What do I want to see happen to children around the world? I can't claim that I'm really going to be able to do this, but at least I can try. Which is if I can maybe get that little boy to stop teasing that little boy because Superman is different. That's my thought process. It's okay to be different because Superman is different. If one child sees that and says 'maybe I'm Superman' then I've done my job."

Superman as intended by Siegel and Shuster is about optimism, heroism, fun cheer moments. The Burton/Strick Superman Lives script actually has plenty of heroic cheer moments. Superman saves an old lady in a wheelchair from being hit by a bus. Superman saves dozens of children from the Plutonian Gnaw Beast at the Luthorworld Amusement Park and Superman comforts a frightened boy ""You're safe now ... Superman says so." Superman saves Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and Metropolis from Doomsday. Superman saves Lois and Jimmy from being shot by three looters. Superman saves Metropolis from an arsonist. Superman saves a boy from a bully and asks the boy "Shall I walk you home?" Superman cleverly scams Luthor and Brainiac and regains his powers back. Superman destroys the ShadowCaster and defeats Brainiac's Beast Brigade and their rayguns. Superman saves Lois from the Thanagarian Snare Beast Spider and a dozen Baby Mutant Spiders. Superman defeats Lexiac and the ultra-powerful forcefield and the Skull Ship. Superman rips down the Superman memorial monument with his bare hands, down to the size of a baseball -- then tosses the "ball" to a nearby kid, as a souvenir. Superman makes it clear in the Strick Superman Lives script how his place is here on earth, this is his home, these are his people, he cares for them and he's dedicated to help them, etc. that is faithful and respectful to who Superman is and what he symbolizes. There's also heartfelt romance between Superman and Lois and the love between them is depicted.

Of course, Superman Lives is loosely based on the Death of Superman comics so it's also true to that with Doomsday and the death, the resurrection, returning with a black and silver suit, etc. Of course, Luthor, LexCorp, Brainiac and the Skull Ship and Superman fighting alien creatures are from the comics, too.

B i R D M A N
In theaters now.

Better Call Saul
On AMC in February.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 10-29-2013 at 09:03 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote