Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
James.B
Nothing to see here.

Default Re: Steven Spielberg calls the Nolan Batman movies beautiful art films

Quote:
The Joker
Steven Spielberg calls the Nolan Batman movies beautiful art films
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Go to 4:42 on the video. He says they're very successful well told stories, but also beautiful visual art films. I think that's really a great compliment coming from some of Spielberg's status.

There is a lot of love for this trilogy from other filmmakers as well-
Paul Thomas Anderson:
Quote:
"Iíve never really been asked to do [big tentpole blockbusters]. You look at what Christopher Nolan did with Batman, thatís like the meeting of the highest level of artistic skill & a kind of commerciality and appeal to a wide range of people which is what anybody would want. Itís kind of unparalleled actually, and they donít come to me with those. And thatís alright."_
Guillermo del Toro :
Quote:
That ties into something else I was going to ask: do you think that blockbusters are perhaps a bit too cynical now? There's a bit too much soul-searching and darkness, perhaps?

Not at all. I think there's a certain examination of the superhero myth that is really, really beautiful when it's created by a genuinely creative filmmaker like Chris Nolan. Then it's really genuine. It's a little harder when you don't feel the cohesiveness within somebody's work.

To me, Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is of a piece with Memento, or The Following, or Insomnia, or even The Prestige - you can feel the same hand. Sometimes I feel that some of the conventions of other summer entertainment, the darkness, is an affectation that is not of a piece with the rest of the work of the person who made it.
Nicholas Winding Refn
Quote:
'With Nolan you got a guy who came from a background like me and the studios gave him a possibility to make the dark knight movies, or batman movies, the bat movies ? ....... And A: made really good films, but also made movies that had a lot of substance, and the audience wants that, of course everybody wants that, and they should get it'
Wes Anderson:
Quote:
"I enjoy Chris Nolan's work in general, but I watched the Blu-Ray and it has a thing where you can go to any scene in the movie and go to the making of that. There's nothing that has ever made me feel less like a professional than watching Chris Nolan's group at work. The remote-control miniature cars. Just every technique. The rehearsal of flipping the semi-trailer end over end in the middle of the desert before they blow it up in Chicago... There's one scene where a guy jumps off the top of a skyscraper ó they rehearse the jump but for the actual thing they did it CG. 'But for the rehearsal you did jump off the building?' 'We have it as a reference.' Wow. Chris Nolan is quite great. My favourite is Memento, but I'd like to learn how to do these things."
Werner Herzog:
Quote:
In a way, I was totally astonished by The Dark Knight because, on the one hand, itís a huge, mainstream movie. But it also astonished me at how dark it was, as though it was a premonition of something coming at us. I went to see the film, and ran into Christian Bale, which was the only reason I saw the film: I wanted to see how Christian was doing, because I so love that man, as an actor. I ran into Christian and (director) Christopher Nolan, and said to Nolan ĎCongratulations, this is the most significant film of the whole year.í He thought I was kind of making it up, or joking. And I said ĎNo, no, no! This is a film of real substance. It doesnít matter if itís mainstream or not.í And itís wonderful that he made the film the way he did.
Paul Greengrass:
Quote:
"There have been a round of movies that haven't worked lately, but it's not so long ago that we were feasting on Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises," he said. "You can't expect that every one of these films will be a Dark Knight Rises or an Inception or a Bourne."

James.B is offline   Reply With Quote