View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #117
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Batman View Post
This is still the best live action Batman movie.

To me, the nolanverse films are more surreal and unrealistic than the burtonverse ones, Even though I like both series.

Batman and Joker fits right into Burton's dark and fantastic Gotham City, but seems out of place in Nolan's Chicagotham City. I can believe that a man would dress up like a bat in Burton's world, but in Nolan's it seems kind of unnecessary and awkward.

If you make Batman too realistic, it backfires. Batman has never been realistic in the first place...
I love this Batman. But how can Nolan's be more "surreal" than Burton's? Or unrealistic? When Burton's was a fairytale Gotham with monsters and campy behavior?

The idea of Batman feeling out of place in Nolan's world was the exact point. So it's a shock when people of Gotham and audiences see Batman or Joker. If that world is fantastical and gothic where people can be brought back to life then batman fits right in no problem. There's nothing shocking about it. Batman fits like a glove, like Burton's movies. The people shouldn't even have a shocked reaction. Nolan didn't want to repeat Burton because those movies happened. What's the point of making anything unless you can do it fresh?

Batman is a realistic character. It can happen. It takes a lot of money and strength and determination but it's "realistic" and "relatable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Batman View Post
I remember seeing the movie for the first time when i was about seven years old. My parents turned off the tv at the beginning of the "descent into mystery" part. They told me that the movie was over... But I remembered scenes from the commercials that I hadn't seen in the movie. Next time it aired they let me watch all of it. I thought the cathedral part where Batman kicks Joker's ass was a bit scary
your parents must be strict.

I always loved that cathedral part. Scary as a kid, but in a cool way. I saw it when I was 3 or 4 along with Returns and I couldn't get enough of it! I still love the setting of that cathedral. The PERFECT place.