View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #118
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I love this Batman. But how can Nolan's be more "surreal" than Burton's? Or unrealistic? When Burton's was a fairytale Gotham with monsters and campy behavior?
It just doesn't feel right to me, when all the other fantastical elements from the comics are removed. Ra's Al Ghul should really be immortal, Joker should be permawhite, and Bane should use venom. With the "magic" removed, it makes Batman look like Ethan Hunt in a batsuit. You could replace Batman with a guy in a ninja costume and change the names, and it would just be another action thriller.

Quote:
Nolan did not want to repeat Burton because those movies happened. What's the point of making anything unless you can do it fresh?
I'm not against change, and I do like tdk trilogy, but I think Batman works best in a unrealistic world. I prefer movies where you can take a break from the real world and experience something unusual and exciting. King Kong would not be special if Kong was just a rabid chimp running around New York and strangling people. Or imagine a Star Wars movie about astronauts punching each other in the face onboard a space shuttle.

I don't think Batman is very realistic. A man couldn't be a master in all the martial arts in the world, when it takes almost a lifetime to master just one. But in a fantasy world, it can work