View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #975
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I can think of several ways in which Begins suprases Rises...
1. Least amount of Plot Holes
2. Closeness to the source material
3. The amount of Batman in it
4. Exploration of the Protaganist's character.
Just a few to name off the top of my head.
It is all subjective, but there are actually very, very few plot holes in Rises (though I know of some). It is just an Internet buzz word.

Closeness to the source material is inconsequential to myself. As is the amount of time Bruce Wayne is in costume.

I'd say they both explore Bruce Wayne thoroughly. But while BB goes through the generic and formulaic motion of the "origin story" or Campbellian journey--which I think it does better than any other film--there is nothing formulaic about TDKR. It is challenging and asks a question that no comic book writer would ever dare: What if the hero reaches a point where being a superhero is hazardous to his mental and physical health? What if Bruce Wayne can overcome the trauma?

The screenplay, IMHO, is much smarter and while more reliant on genre cliches than TDK, is blessedly removed from the many that BB falls into. It also asks some fascinating questions about cultural unease and populism while pulling just as much from Charles Dickens as it does Frank Miller. Beyond that, Selina Kyle is a much better realized character, and way better acted, than Rachel Dawes; Bane is a far more memorable villain than Ra's Al Ghul; and the film as a whole is visually far more ambitious and contains richer performances from a more diverse supporting cast.

It also has, strangely, the most original ending for a superhero movie besides, well, TDK. BB is the classic Batman story. The fact that were was nothing well-worn in TDKR besides that stupid bomb is an advantage.

Just my opinion.

--John Adams