View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #58
Farren
Side Kicker

Default Re: the TIMELINE thread

I'm going to have to agree with Super Jim that we shouldn't be discounting the viral marketing in our speculation. We don't know for sure how much it likes up with the film, but when part of it includes includes "photos" of sentinels participating in very public places and iconic events, it seems like the viral campaign might be trying to tell us something.

But because I try to keep an open mind and I like playing Devil's advocate, I did try to think about a way that this ISN'T an alternate reality/already altered reality....

Perhaps at the time of the original films the sentinels weren't in active service OR that they were unauthorized for use on US soil. This also could be coupled with another thought I had, which is that over the years the sentinel program turned into the equivalent of a cold war nuclear arms race, which was sorta-kinda halted in the mid nineties. (I'll explain why below). According to the trask-industries site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trask-industries
The Sentinel Program

In 1973, Trask Industries introduced the first Sentinel production model, the Mark I. Bolivar Trask’s groundbreaking research in AI, robotics and autonomous ballistic systems laid the foundation for the world's most capable anti-mutant defense system. Since the program's inception, we’ve continued to advance our founder's cause through eight additional generational upgrades and enhancements.

As we celebrate five decades of achievement, we also bid farewell to regular production of the Mark I and shift our efforts to full-time manufacturing of the Mark X — our first complete overhaul of the Sentinel line. These highly anticipated units will combine next-generation nanotechnology and bioweapon breakthroughs, promising an even brighter future for the human race.

Sentinel Mark I (9th generation)

Between 1973 and 1996, Trask produced 8732 Sentinel Mark Is for the governments of the United States, China, Russia, Israel, Saudi Arabia, France, India and the United Kingdom. The Mark I is still in service and current generations include the following features...
Anyone else think it's odd that the data doesn't include anything post 1996? This is the kind of PR that seems like it's hiding something, like, perhaps there weren't any sentinels being made after 1996.

In 1996 the UN passed the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty. The treaty has never gone into effect, because there are still 8 countries which haven't ratified and/or signed the treaty. Those eight countries are: China, Egypt, India, Iran, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, United States. It's not the same 8 countries that are known to have purchased sentinels, but there is some overlap, and countries like France and Russia did have nuclear programs, so there seems to be a similar pattern imo.

So maybe we're looking at an MCU take on the matter, only in this version it's sentinels instead of nuclear testing, and in this version the equivalent treaty WAS fully ratified. Now I'm not suggesting this "treaty" completely banned sentinels, but it may have been one which limited their use and included a ban on NEW sentinels being made. Basically, much like the nuclear arms race, the overall public opinion towards sentinels changed. Perhaps there was no treaty behind it. Maybe it was just a domestic US law, or general policy.

So what happens after 1996? Mutants start to become publicly acknowledged to exist, and Magneto starts stirring up trouble. Around 2013-ish (I would guess at the time of the Wolverine mid-credits scene), Trask industries comes along and says, "My, what a coincidence. With our knowledge of genetics and our old sentinel program, we can outfit those old Mark I's to hunt mutants for you." That could be what prompted Xavier and Erik to contact Logan.

I'm also going to throw out a little bit that caught my eye. This might explain why the sentinels aren't so prolific:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trask-industries
"Maintenance: Because the Sentinel Mark I is based around autonomous systems, it incorporates a hibernative maintenance stasis mode, which offers reduced maintenance costs or maximum efficiency."
This is a nice way of saying "this stuff costs a lot to fix, so don't use it for trivial things. And keep it turned off when you aren't using it." And it suggests to me that sentinels spent a lot of time turned off, as opposed to being in constant patrol or guard mode. That might explain why they aren't so prevalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
So, the past must be a different version of events. Could it not just be another reality where things aren't the same? Does it need a trigger event to make it branch off from normal reality, or could it just exist anyway?
I think it could be either. Based on my layman's understanding of time travel theory it seems like both scenarios have been proposed. The first is that the time traveler, upon triggering a change (or at least, a significant one that would result in a parodox), he creates a new branch of reality which he continues along on, separate from the original one. The other is that there already is another reality (or, realities) and that the time traveler will end up in it, again, in order to prevent a paradox.

That being said, Singer can do whatever he wants. There seems to be precedent in fiction for both ideas, so that's probably what really matters. He might turn to science for inspiration or "rules" though. That's the vibe I've gotten so far from his statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
My brain hurts. Time travel is always a tricky one.
Don't feel bad, it makes everyone's brain hurt.