View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
cleverusername8
Or something like that

Default Re: The general Barry Allen vs Wally West thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondragon View Post
In the end they'll be building this character from scratch, and picking and choosing elements that work from all Flashes.

As far as name, if they call the character Barry Allen, Wally West or Jay Garrick is irreverent to general audience who would not care or know the difference.
The one sway is since they are developing Barry Allen for TV they may just go with that.

As far as character development they will probably want Barry's origin, Wally's origin is moronic, potentially one of the stupidest in comics, Jays is pretty weak too.

They'd probably want Barry's CSI day job too, it's potentially the most interesting.

As for personality; it might depend on which GL they play him off in a possible JL, if its the more tightwad military John Stewart than they can go with the jokey impulsive Wally/Bart amalgam from the cartoon.
If they go with the more reckless cocky Hal Jordan, than they should go with more o.c.d. like focused Barry personality.
What's nice is either one can bring the wide-eyed every-man who from his pov finds himself among "gods" then realizes he is one of them. Although Barry lends himself more to this unassuming pov.

Girlfriend/ love interest, which one had the inquisitive reporter girlfriend? Again they seem pretty interchangeable, It probably doesn't make a difference. Although Iris West having a nephew would help if they did eventually want to introduce a new imitation Flash that way, but that's pretty irrelevant.

It's not like it's set up so he can just leave someone the mask and the cave, or pass along a ring. he's got to "accidentally" get the same fluke powers[LOL]

They really are going to have to rework that crap. Either he's intentionally trying to recreate the event, or he's somehow forced into someone else's experiment. Which they might even use for the first guy.
I agree with all of your points. It's almost guaranteed that they will use Barry's name and face (probably costume as well) as well as his origin and daily life. His relationship to the Rogues also give him better potential for a solo movie series if they'll pursue that. Wally also fought many of the Rogues, but the group came to be during Barry's Flash tenure.

Your assessment of the personality is spot on as well. New 52 Barry seems to have acquired a bit of Wally's typical jokeyness for the lack of a better word. He's got it under control, but he does seem a bit more lighthearted than before.

Speaking of New 52, that's probably the strongest evidence towards DC pursuing Barry for a movie. In the new series of comics, Wally is currently nowhere to be found. In recent media, Barry has had more of a presence than he ever has (Young Justice, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Justice League Doom, and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox). The same goes for Hal on all of those fronts. Those two characters are making a crazy huge comeback in involvement with current DC stories so it seems pretty clear that they'll be the ones to round out the JL movie roster. It wouldn't make sense any other way.

My personal perspective on all of this is that Barry is the best fit because the typical view of the Justice League includes post-Jay Flashes. Throwing Wally in that spot right off the bat would be a disservice to both characters since much of Wally's time as Flash revolves around Barry's example and legacy which Wally tries to live up to. It's what makes the character interesting. Plus, I'm a sucker for continuity. In JLU when I found out it was Wally under the mask in that show, I was thrown for a loop. The weirdest part about it is that I didn't know much of anything about the Flash family. All I thought after seeing that for the first time was "Since when is his name Wally? And I thought he was blonde?" Ever since I have been unable to think of Wally as THE definitive Flash.

Last edited by cleverusername8; 09-18-2013 at 10:48 PM.
cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote