View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #892
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Default Re: The Official Batman Forever Thread - Part 2

I saw it when I was 12 and left the cinema very disappointed. Understand that I've been watching movies across all ratings since I was 4 years old. So I was a very precocious kid and since I was a loner growing up for most part and used to find solace only in visiting the theaters every week (local cinema was $3.50 AND they didn't card) and renting tapes at the local video store I was a bit of a movie nerd who had been exposed to a lot of classics by then.

I really hated how terribly written and campy the villains were compared to the more serious and competently written heroes. Especially because growing up Two-Face was my favorite Bat villain. It was too jarring and led to the movie having no tone and feeling like 2 different movies trying to function as one. Even saw it a second time with my entire 6th grade class from school as our last school trip before summer vacation and still didn't really like it at all.

However I did love the soundtrack and the score indeed is pretty damn spiffy. But it wasn't till years later that I actually learned to appreciate the movie itself. Now I find myself often defending it's merits especially when people decide to group it with B&R just because it was made by the same people, as if it's that bad of a movie when it isn't.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men