View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #892
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Default Re: The Official Batman Forever Thread - Part 2

I saw it when I was 12 and left the cinema very disappointed. Understand that I've been watching movies across all ratings since I was 4 years old. So I was a very precocious kid and since I was a loner growing up for most part and used to find solace only in visiting the theaters every week (local cinema was $3.50 AND they didn't card) and renting tapes at the local video store I was a bit of a movie nerd who had been exposed to a lot of classics by then.

I really hated how terribly written and campy the villains were compared to the more serious and competently written heroes. Especially because growing up Two-Face was my favorite Bat villain. It was too jarring and led to the movie having no tone and feeling like 2 different movies trying to function as one. Even saw it a second time with my entire 6th grade class from school as our last school trip before summer vacation and still didn't really like it at all.

However I did love the soundtrack and the score indeed is pretty damn spiffy. But it wasn't till years later that I actually learned to appreciate the movie itself. Now I find myself often defending it's merits especially when people decide to group it with B&R just because it was made by the same people, as if it's that bad of a movie when it isn't.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men