View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #946
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaD View Post
I'm black and I don't think I've ever gotten any racist or sexist vibes from First Class. Hmm..

If you're talking about that Shaw comment and look at Darwin, I didn't find that racist at all, I saw Shaw trying to convince him to join him.
X-Men were created as characters who took on incredibly obvious parallels to the Civil Rights and Women's rights movements - they were downtreaden minorities who were not afforded rights and alienated in society.

First Class takes place at the same time as these events, and comparisons are explicitly drawn throughout the film. This is good.

HOWEVER - the first hero to die is the only major good black character, whose power is not dying. The other main black hero character, who is also a woman, turns evil on entirely spurious and ill-developed grounds. The only Jewish character becomes a villain (which would be okay if it was just Magneto, but every other non-anglo-saxon character being shafted only makes this bad). The main female character has her mind wiped in a very uncomfortable scene at the end, and her closing scene is a vaguely self-aware sexist joke.

The films ends with the only ones left in Xavier's good guy block being white males, while Magneto's supposedly dangerous and radical wing comes across (unintentionally) as much better, being multi-ethnic, having women, and being more diverse and accepting. None of this was done deliberately by the film makers, but the fact that this managed to happen unintentionally says a lot for how little aware the makers were in crafting their own tale of oppressed persons who are marginalised in society, by managing to marginalise people who actually are oppressed person that are marginalised by society.

EDIT: Oh, and every female character was sexualised, with some in very contrived ways - like Moira pulling her clothes off in practically the first scene we see her in.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly

Last edited by Two-Face=Badass; 08-30-2013 at 02:36 AM.