View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #363
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Neill Blomkamp’s next project... ELYSIUM? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
But that doesn't mean that Elysium's people will just accept a coup willy nilly. We even see human soldiers on Elysium, and as we established in the movie, a human with an outdated exoskeleton can take on even Elysium's best droids.

So... yeah.

It seems like a rather underdeveloped plan.
I don't think there was any suggestion that it WAS a developed well thought out plan.

This was the plan of desperate people trying to seize any opportunity for a bit of a win. And this was a BIG win, even if somehow the people of Elysium found a way of fighting back. (which I doubt TBH, because they didn't have ENOUGH soldiers to compare to men on earth who were willing to fight for the freedom they just won, and any agressive behaviour would result in the robots intervening to establish order... So the only way really is if they could somehow get the info out of Spider to regain control of Elysium, and I don't really see that happening).

Even if those ships landing on earth only saved the lives of the people they could treat in 1 day, that's a heck of a lot of people who've now been given to same right to live as the people of Elysium.

That's why I am glad they ended the film where they did. It leaves it ambiguous.

Max dies for the hope that what he's giving back to the people of earth is worth it. And the film ends with us knowing about as much as he does about how that's going to turn out.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote