View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #108
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Default Re: Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

The Knauf's Director of SHIELD/Haunted arc from just 4 years ago featured a story where Tony was forced to deal with a loss of tech, centered around the use of Extremis and showcased an updated Mandarin that was probably the most effective use of the character to date and featured none of the fu-manchu elements.

Its the movie the IM3 trailers pretended to be.

Marvel copped out hard, plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
The Mandarin. Easily.

Not because I love the character or whatever, no, I hate what they did because basically all of Iron Man 3's excellent trailers, posters and tv spots sold us a completely different movie from the one we ended up getting.
About a whole year's worth of spin sold this movie as an epic battle between Hero and Nemesis in which Stark finally suffers defeat and had to fight his way back from destruction. Kingsley's Mandarin looked and sounded friggin' ferocious too... THIS was gonna be good!
...yeeeeeaaah.

Now, studios overhype their films all the time. No surprise there. But what Marvel did went way beyond that... they outright lied about what the film was.

And even then -even then!- I could have forgiven that, all of it... if what the film was actually about wasn't so friggin' boring...

Eh, rant over.
Completely agreed, I came to expect a lot of that crap from other studios - but Marvel had earned a great deal of trust over the last several years with smart adaptations that retained the core of the characters and was respectful to the source material. IM3 has made me way more leery of Marvel's other films, especially in light of it looking like Ultron will not be a product of Hank Pym.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 09-01-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote