View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #35
BMM
Side-Kick

Default Re: This Franchise Needs a Reboot Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I've gone into quite the detail to explain why I am so excited about Days Of Future Past, and why something like Sentinels is one of my favorite parts of the X-Men universe, and why I have been wanting them in an X-Men film for yeeeaarrrs.
Why? Because they took sentinels, giant mutant hunting robots that are otherwise fantastical, and made them work in the movies via the framework already established by the books? You've just demonstrated why some elements of the 616 Universe can and do work on screen. And what of the time travel? Does that not bother you either?

Quote:
And why would X-Men: First Class be one of my most hated movies?

1.) It is incredibly grounded, even tho yes the "fantasy" is upped quite a bit over Singer's 1st 2 films, but it is still incredibly grounded
First, I don't think I would argue that First Class is "incredibly" grounded. It may not be incredibly over-the-top stupid, like Batman and Robin, but I wouldn't exactly say it's incredibly grounded. Second, "'fantasy' is upped quite a bit over Singer's 1st 2 films" doesn't sound at all like an argument against a tone closer to that of the 616 Universe. A reboot can up the fantasy, much like First Class and Days of Future Past, without delving into utter foolishness.

Quote:
2.) It is the furthest away from 616 of all the movies in the series, by far.
Visually and tonally it is not. By those standards, it is arguably the closest. That is my point with regard to First Class.

So, thus far, we have established you don't mind building-sized mutant hunting robots, time travel, fantasy that is upped quite a bit over Singer's first two films, as well as presumably more faithful visuals and a tone that more closely resembles that of the 616 Universe as opposed to the Ultimate Universe. Based on these points, I'm not really sure why you're arguing with me. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my previous post that just because I think a reboot will not redundantly embrace the more grounded nature of the Ultimate Universe doesn't mean I think it will abandon everything that makes X-Men special in favor of the likes of Psylocke fighting the brood in outer space wearing nothing but a thong?

Last edited by BMM; 09-04-2013 at 08:24 AM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote