View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #50
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: This Franchise Needs a Reboot Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Except that's not all everyone is clamoring for, and I think you know that.
It's easily the loudest cry on these forums.

Quote:
Where elements such as time travel--time travel--enhance the story. I just want to make sure I read that correctly.
Yup. And I have explained why I feel that way. Feel free to go read it sometime if you want to understand where I'm coming from.

Quote:
While I don't deny that there are outliers who want little more than to see things go boom, I don't think the majority of reasonable fans are asking that the backbone of the X-Men universe be disregarded.
"Reasonable" is a rarity on the internet. Especially amongst comic book fans. I would say the reasonable fans are the outlier.

Quote:
By that logic, why make any sequels at all? Why even bother with X2, let alone The Last Stand or especially Days of Future Past?
Because they tell continuing stories. In the case of X-Men: The Last Stand, it is continuing the storyline that was set up, and not concluded, in X-Men and X2. X-Men Origins: Wolverines picks up the seeds that were planted in X2.

I've acknowledged that X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine, and currently X-Men: Days Of Future Past are largely "unnecessary" in the grand scheme of things, as the movies haven't really been building to this the way they built to X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. But for me, at least they are maintaining what is important about these characters and their world, and they are building upon that world, not rehashing it.

Well, X-Men: First Class was sort of a rehash...

Quote:
There is no purpose any sequel serves outside of raking in money for the studio...
True. There is no purpose of -any- movie other than to rake in money for a studio.

But at least in the year 2000, X-Men was an original cinematic idea. It's following sequels and prequels built upon that world that was built.

An X-Men reboot is not an original cinematic idea. It's a rehash, retelling the same stories that we've already seen done. I would rather movie studios move on to new, original ideas, than re-doing the same stories, same characters, and same movies over and over and over again.

I saw Hulk, I didn't need to see it again. I saw Spiderman, I didn't need to see it again. If I want Star Trek, I want Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, etc... Not whatever young Hollywood heartthrobs they threw into this new series. I saw Total Recall back in the 90's. I don't need to see Colin Farrell's version. I've seen Terminator, I've seen RoboCop, I don't need to see them again. I saw Fantastic Four, why do I want to see it again?

There's no purpose. Reboots are the absolute lamest trend in Hollywood, and I'm just waiting for the day that they get out of this horrible phase and come up with an original idea for once.

Quote:
But not before you see the trailer to that next pointless film, right?

Quote:
Except that you wouldn't be rehashing the same crap over and over again any more than you would be in sequels. In fact, there is more potential to expand into new stories via a reboot because the sequels are now limited in the stories they can tell because they've needlessly squandered characters in unnecessary roles, like Gambit in X-Men Origins, or so poorly neglected them, like Cyclops, that we've barely come to know them before they're gone. Of course, I think Bryan Singer is aware of the corner the films have painted themselves into, which is why I think he'll most likely take advantage of time travel mechanisms to right past wrongs and help further expand the universe in non-rebooted sequels, but you even seem to be against that too.
Not really. Because a reboot is going to have to start from the beginning again. Which means rehashing all the same **** we've already seen.

The same way Spiderman rehashed Uncle Ben dying, and rehashed Peter Parker being hopelessly in love with the girl that he hides his identity from but then has to save and then his identity is revealed to her and they fall in love.

It'll be the same **** all over again.

I say this as a huge Cyclops fan, and an even bigger Gambit fan (he's my favorite fictional character period): Who cares?

So their movie treatment wasn't the best? Who cares? That's the movie version. That doesn't take away all of the great Cyclops or Gambit stories in the comic books and the cartoons. That doesn't stop me from using Gambit and Cyclops in all the video games. It's already done. I hate it just as much as anyone, but what's done is done and can't be undone.

And yes, I'm against them convoluting the continuity even further than what people around here already see as jacked up just to needlessly plug Cyclops back into the mix, and removing bits and pieces of continuity just because hey, some people didn't like it. That's horrid storytelling, and that kind of b.s. is exactly why comic books aren't respected as any sort of legitimate literature. Forgive me for wanting the movies of my favorite fictional universe to be seen with some dignity and credibility.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote