View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Default Re: The Batman Reboot JOKER Casting Thread

Not sure about casting for The Joker, but what do we think about what kind of role he should play in any new franchise?

I think it's very difficult. The Joker as a character is pretty much as popular and iconic as Batman himself. When one shows up, it's just like a "waiting for the other shoe to drop" from the general audience in terms of the other following. But if you start with The Joker as the main villain of the first new film then not only do you risk Batman being overshadowed, but it means the movies would be repeating themselves, doing what's been done in two franchises before rather than exploring someone new or at least less exposed from Batman's huge, diverse rogues' gallery. If you use someone else and hold off on debuting The Joker until the sequel, you're just repeating the structure of the Nolan trilogy, which these will already undoubtedly be compared to.

Here's what my solution would be. The Man of Steel sequel will be introducing an already-established Batman. I'd say The Joker is already-established too. We don't see him in the Superman film, but in the canon of the film world, he's already Batman's arch-nemesis, and they've already fought many times. At the time of the first solo film, The Joker is in Arkham Asylum. Over the course of the story, something about the film's primary villain points to an association with The Joker, so Batman visits Arkham to interrogate him. This proves ultimately fruitless, but you get to have The Joker going all Hannibal Lecter, and you can establish both Arkham Asylum as a locale within the world and the relationship between Batman and The Joker. Almost establish The Joker as part of the core supporting cast rather than as an external villain to come in for a single film.

Then in the sequel you can have The Joker escape Arkham and start wrecking havok.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote