View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #87
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I can somewhat understand that point. However, not many people in the GA knew who Iron Man was before RDJ came along. Even fewer people knew who Thor was, and VERY few know who the GOTG and Ant Man are. Marvel had no problem greenlighting those films, so why no female films?
I completely agree with your points, and it's an industry-wide issue. Like I said, it doesn't excuse the fact that Marvel's slow with developing female centric CBMs. Studios everywhere don't like to green light action pictures that have females at the center of the storytelling and butt-kicking. That's why we have to keep talking about it and putting pressure on Hollywood to change their ways.

I would say that IM and Thor and The Hulk were pretty well-recognized prior to their movies getting made. Ant-Man? He was hand picked by Edgar Wright and Marvel wanted to work with him. It's basically been in a long in-development period and is only finally now getting off the ground.

As for GOTG, I think, or at least I hope, it signals that Marvel's willing to take bigger risks with development of their properties. It's a cosmic, family-friendly action adventure with merchandising potential out the wazoo. But it does have one of the more diverse (racial and gender) casts so far, and signs point to Gamora and Nebula having some really good development and action.

I'm extremely critical of Marvel in this department, believe me. But I'm also hopeful that they'll do right by us fans clamoring for more diversity.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 09-06-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote