View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
You said you weren't sure where people were getting the idea that Superman needed to kill to learn that killing was wrong. There's your answer.

Sure. But we know that he would never do any of that stuff because of his moral compass. Snyder is basically saying that this is a Superman who is capable of anything when he's mad and that it's not necessarily unlikely that he'll kill again. And if you're okay with that, that's fine.

I never said it was.
I'm not going to go through the point-by-point structure here. There isn't a connection between some people's belief that Superman needs to kill to know that it's wrong and Superman killing Zod to save people. One is a lame justification and another has to do with telling a compelling story.

You're paraphrasing what you believe Snyder's message is. That's not how I read it. I read it as him strictly talking about the physical damage that Superman could do, not that he can't control himself. I don't believe that his moral compass was off in the movie. The way that the story presented the situation, I found it to e a powerful ended but in writing and with the performances.