View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
That means if the main character does something which he believes to be right, than the audience is supposed to believe that it is right as well, correct?
Yes.

Quote:
What happens when you are telling the story about an adolescent?
Depends.

Quote:
What happens when you are telling a story about someone out for revenge?
Depends.

Quote:
What happens when you are telling a story about shady people(typical tarantinto protagonists)?
Depends.

Quote:
What happens when you are giving hitlers side of things?
Probably not.

Quote:
What happens when you are telling the story of a young superhero finding his way...
Depends.

You need to realize that I was speaking generally.

Quote:
Most stories aren't about perfect people...
I never said they were.

Quote:
The audience can often agree or disagree at their own discretion.
Which I acknowledged. But most people seem to agree that Superman killing Zod was the right thing to do.

Quote:
When did the movie say superman made the right decision?
As soon as he did it and saved the entire planet.

Quote:
Maybe I should watch it again.
Maybe you should.

Though if you're looking for the film to spell it out for you in an obvious and heavy-handed manner, then I'm afraid you'll be watching it forever.

Quote:
Superman doesn't end world hunger even though he can.
He can?

Quote:
Superman believes that's the best decision so that means we the audience are supposed to as well right?
You're supposed to, yes. But you don't have to.

Quote:
You are suggesting that anything a protagonist does, as long as he thinks he's in the right we as an audience are supposed to sympathize.
Yes.

Quote:
There's a difference between sympathizing with the story lead, and the story telling us something is right or wrong.
Typically, the former leads to the latter.

Quote:
Apply this to the topic at hand, whether superman feels he did a bad thing in killing a Zod going forward, says little about whether it was right or wrong.
It kind of does.

Quote:
If he decides to do different in the future, that won't mean squat when it comes to the reality of the zod decision. It will just mean he doesn't want to kill anymore.
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Not so hard to believe if you watch the animated series, read the books or watch some of the movies.
Maybe, but that comment rubbed me the wrong way. It almost sounds to me like he wants us to think of Superman as a ticking time bomb or something.