View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #43
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Easy, is it at all possible that the bad guy forced the good guy into a no win situation where there was no choice that was morally unquestionable?
It's possible, but it's also irrelevant.

Quote:
That's the difference between the best choice and the right choice. Superman made the best choice he could in the situation. The right choice was beyond him.
What are you even saying right now? In this discussion, the situation is everything, and when you consider the situation and what was at stake, Superman made the right choice. Trying to separate the situation from the discussion isn't going to do anything for your argument.

Quote:
So if Cap wasn't a solider...
But he is.

Quote:
but all other things being equal(superpowered superhero), than he'd be considered a "time bomb" in your book?
What I said was the way Snyder described him made him sound like a time bomb. Read what I write.

Quote:
It implies no grey area. No degree of compromise and analog. Just two decisions resulting in right or wrong. Kinda like two dimensions. The comics have evolved beyond those days.
If you say so.

Quote:
To be honest I'm not surprised.
Good for you.

Quote:
The point was that batman, a hero with a very clear no kill rule(far clearer than Superman mind you) has been put in positions where the audience didn't know if he was going to kill or not kill the joker based on how far the bad guy pushed him.
Tension was created because the audience was unsure if Batman was capable of taking a life. We didn't know if he would be able to bring himself to kill the Joker, regardless of his actions. Superman, on the other hand, is capable of killing someone. He's done it before. And Snyder always wants us to have that thought in the back of our minds. With Batman, the writers rely on uncertainty to create tension. With Superman, that particular uncertainty doesn't exist, because we know what he's capable of.

Personally, I think that if I have to question if Superman is going to actually go through with killing someone because of his past actions, there's a problem.

Quote:
Not sure why that doesn't make sense when applied to superman.
I never said it didn't make sense, but nice try.