View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #72
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Zimmer's got my vote.

Look at the diversity and range of his film scores, you've got the light and comical Kung Fu Panda, and the intense bombastic TDKR.

I loved Zimmer's work on MOS, he did beat Zod's theme to death (he tends to do that in most of his films), but it worked ! I particularly enjoyed the dreamlike music, when Lois first enters the Scoutship, that then gets really intense when the droid attacks her - Zimmer can change the key and up the tempo with great effect.

Hopefully Zimmer will do the next MOS film (I'm not talking BM v SM here, but the next MOS solo film) as it would be nice to hear more of his
end title - sort of the new Superman march.

As for BM v SM, I hope Zimmer's involved, maybe with a co-writer, like he
was on BB. It would probably make sense to have a new Batman theme,
as the Batfleck is a reinterpretation of the character. I think something would be lost if they just say that NOlan's Batman got sick of retirement and came back to work (you'd need Bale for that).

Step away from the NOlan trilogy, I loved it, but let it stand on its own.
These new films need an integrated feel, if DC/WB is really going to stand up on a par with what Marvel/Disney are doing.

So yes, a new Batman theme -maybe some elements of the Nolan-Batman theme, but generally new.
The interesting thing will be listening to how Zimmer (or whoever) integrates two very different themes, the bold theme of Superman and the darker, more ominous tones of Batman.

As far as other worthy contenders go, the only one I can think of that can pull off the kind of emotion necessary is Michael Giacchino.

But roll on Zimmer I say. Peace
Kung Fu Panda had John Powell do a chunk of it. As for TDKR, some of the music was actually better than the collabs with JNH, but there was less of a diversity of themes.

HZ reminds me of a certain actress who CAN act, but doesn't always choose to do so. I'm not saying he's lazy. On the contrary, I think he's overworked and has forgotten what he is really capable of doing.

And I think the MOS theme is actually one of the best superhero themes. I felt like he worked so hard on that main title, the rest of the score seems more cobbled together.

And if you think I'm a hater, I think he's done consistently good work up to 2003. I think some of the music for "The Bible" is good, and "It's Complicated" has a good score, though that's also a collab with Heitor Pereira (who does very good acoustic work).

Sherlock Holmes has some good music, but even that gets reduntant in places.

Rango is actually quite good, but it's definitely taken a page from Morricone.
So why not just have Ennio score Rango? His work on Django shows that he's still got it

I guess, in a way, I'm spoiled by the good-great composer of yesteryear, rather than the okay-to-good composer of today.

As for MOS, his Superman/Clark theme is very good, but his action scores are bombastic and repetitive.

Guichinno can definitely pull off action scores better, IMHO. And so can Powell, I think.

I do think he was the KING of action scores in the 90s, if that makes anyone feel any better.

Powell adapting Zimmer's themes would be even better at this point. I'm drooling for a John Powell Superman score.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote