View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #48
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Default Re: The whole "freak" thing is getting old and makes no sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Increasingly, I think my problem with the cliched "superhumans as freaks" is the idea of them all being lumped together. There's a lot of fear and hatred in human nature, but I suspect that absent some explicit and compelling reason for society to view superhumans as one single group ( say, they are all aliens )? You are much more likely to have everybody distinguish between "their" superhumans and "those guys" superhumans.

Or basically, the white racist and black racist are not going to hold hands and unite in killing the mutant. The white racist is going to condemn black mutants as "monsters" while holding up white mutants as "a clear sign of Aryan superiority", while the black racist will do the same thing in reverse.
You realize just 60 years ago we had things as unimportant as water fountains designated for 'Whites' or 'Blacks'. It's very believable that all of these new strange kind that wear bright costumes and show extraordinary powers would all be thrown together just as all blacks were thrown together as 'unclean'.

And yes not everyone agrees they are all freaks, but not everyone agreed with slavery and segregation but the MAJORITY did and its perfectly believable that the majority of people would feel this way towards super beings.