View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
You know, I'm going to ignore all the opinions, and the stuff about how the loudest noise in a movie is the climax, and how antagonist VS the protagonist has nothing to do with the plot of a film and so on and just address these little bits...

People insist on this reaction being because SUPERMAN did this, based on the public's knowledge that Superman doesn't (I really don't think a lot of people are familiar with this, I think it's more along the lines of "but, but superheroes and heroes don't kill!").

People seem entirely unable to separate the event within the film from what the some fans know about Superman. Here's the thing. It's entirely possible that there would be a similar reaction to many cinematic heroes who had not been depicted as a killer doing this to a villain in as abrupt, shocking and equally brutal manner. Which is the point of the sequence.

Not that this character doesn't kill, or wont kill, but that doing so the first time, even to a villain, affects him so intensely. That's where the shock comes from. The emotions HE experiences from the event. It's a very human moment from a man who might as well be a God. That's the point of the moment.

1. So? The Fortress' importance is not established in this film to the degree it has been in the comics. Its importance within the film universe here was to represent Krypton's past and potential future, and to help Superman discover his origins. It more than served its story purpose, arguably moreso than any previous version of the Fortress on film has (I haven't seen all the SMALLVILLE Fortress moments).

2. There's nothing to say there can't be another Fortress of Solitude. There have been in the comics. He could build another one, or grow another one, or what have you.

That WOULD be a terrible visual. Except that there weren't any babies. I'm pretty sure that the genesis chamber was empty and that the film pointed this out.

That's not really terrible dialogue. It's just simple, straightforward dialogue. The last bit is pure Superman/superhero stuff.

It must have? Based on what, exactly?

Yeah, that's a bit hard to swallow. But then, it's a movie. People need to be able to suspend their disbelief to some degree.
And yet nobody complains about Gordon blowing out the track, without pressing the wrong button on weaponized vehicle he had never drove before.