View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #40
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Female Superheores On Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
The typical anti hero in an action movie can't fight and needs t be saved most of the time? I must have missed hundreds of action movies somehow.

None of this supports the idea that Katniss is what people would expect from a female superhero, nor does it change that her extreme physical vulnerability is what made her compelling, something not shared with female superheroes. Yes her attitude isn't much worse than wolverine's... so? It still doesn't support your statement unless the people's expectation is a heroine with wolverine's attitude and rogue's combat.

Who made this claim? When?

So non action films, and early cinema, that's your evidence for female action films?

And if Hunger Games is the template for a superheroine movie, prepare for an onslaught of anger about how you turned a powerful superheroine into a weakling that needs to be saved by men all the time, and isn't even in the best action in her own film. Unless you don't actually want to use THG as a template, you want to do very different kind of movie and just get the same effect as THG. The word for that is not template. I believe an accurate word is presumption.

My suggestions are based on the problems at hand, so until we can at least get my claims right, there's little chance my suggestions will make any sense.
Katniss is "a weakling that needs to be saved by men all the time....?" When did that happen? Other than Thresh killing Clove for Katniss and letting Katniss escape out of respect, I didn't see any men saving her. Maybe you thought Rue was a boy or something.....? I'd highly suggest you go back and re-watch the movie, because you're way off base in your presumption.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote