View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #36
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
That's not what he said. He said that Superman VS. Zod had nothing to do with the central conflict of the film, because the central conflict of the film was (or at least should have been) Superman struggling to find his place in the world and the best way to use his powers to help people responsibly. Superman's fight with Zod wasn't a resolution of the central conflict, it was tying up a loose end. A loose end that didn't even need to exist if they simply disposed of Zod with the rest of the Kryptonians via the Phantom Zone.
Seeing as Zod was the last of Clark's kind, his defeat truly cements who Clark is and who he wants to be. Also, seeing how Clark used his power to defeat Zod, Clark learned something about responsibility that comes with such power.

Could the final fight had been better integrated into the narrative? Sure. I mean, I like it how it is but I'm not going to fault others for disagreeing. But to say that the results of that conflict had nothing to do with the main conflict is a reach.

As for disposing of Zod into the PZ with the other Kryptonians, I would have felt completely robbed of not seeing Superman and Zod going head to head. I would have found it to be anti-climatic despite the PZ resolution being the climax for you.