View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #41
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
The thing is, you get all of that if you have Superman and Zod fight briefly while the Phantom Zone is being activated that ends with Superman forcing Zod into the event horizon with the rest of the Kryptonians and trapping him in the Phantom Zone.
You didn't stipulate that a fight would be present while the PZ is being activated. From your post, it seemed that you wanted the fight simply cut and have Zod sucked in while he is in the ship:
Quote:
Superman's fight with Zod wasn't a resolution of the central conflict, it was tying up a loose end. A loose end that didn't even need to exist if they simply disposed of Zod with the rest of the Kryptonians via the Phantom Zone.
I would have been perfectly fine had it been structured how you know present it.

Quote:
Maneuvering Zod away form the event horizon so he can be around afterword for one more huge mano-a-mano fight scene doesn't serve or resolve the central conflicts of the film any better than not doing it. It's extraneous.
So now it does resolve the central conflict? That was my only point. I never said it was the best way to do it, in fact, I agreed that it could have been better integrated.

Quote:
Also, what with the sheer amount of collateral damage during that fight that Superman doesn't even address let alone tries to do anything about, I'd say the responsibility angle is a stretch.
That is a good point. Overall, I'm on the fence about the whole destruction discussion, but that could have helped ease that tension. As it stands now, the only moment that truly bugged me was his leaping over the tanker and letting it explode behind him -- that was negligent. I'm willing to give him more of a pass on the rest as it's his first outing and Zod is most definitely a handful. Also, Zod is the one that causes the majority of the destruction.

Quote:
By that point we've already seen Superman and Zod go head to head several times. They go head to head during that sequence, when Superman crashes Zod's ship while the military is activating the Phantom Zone.
I'm really surprised that you would find a brief encounter in Smallville and a short discussion on the scout ship while Zod is in sitting in the driver's seat as sufficient battles.

Quote:
Why do you think it would cheat the audience to have that confrontation during that sequence end with Zod being sent to the Phantom Zone? Why do you think having a longer one on one fight between just the two of them afterwards makes the movie stronger?
I think it would have cheated the audience if it went as you previously presented it. If their last interaction was in that scout ship, it simply would not have been enough. At that point the best action piece would have been Superman and the World Builder and there are plenty people here who are not fans of that.

Now had they battle head-to-head prior the PZ activation, then I'd be game.